FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. (Jan. 10, 2022) – The Fort Leonard Wood Tax Center opened today to provide free tax return preparation services for active-duty service members, retirees, dependent family members and Department of Defense civilians.
The deadline to file federal taxes this year is April 18.
The Tax Center is located at 316 Missouri Ave., Bldg. 315, and the hours of operation are 9 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Tax Center will be closed Jan. 17 for a federal holiday.
According to Capt. Christopher Hanley, the Tax Center’s officer in charge, staff are operating under a drop-off and pick-up process, and in-person appointments are not available.
Below is a list of documents clients may be asked to drop off to have their taxes filed:
- a copy of the client’s military identification;
- last year’s tax return;
- copies of Social Security cards for everyone named on the tax return;
- all W-2s and any proof of all other earned or unearned income;
- interest statements;
- college tuition or student loan payment information;
- home mortgage interest payment information (IRS Form 1098)
- proof of health insurance (only if through the market place);
- a voided check or bank routing and account numbers;
- a power of attorney (if necessary to complete a return with an absent spouse);
- a completed client intake form (provided by the Tax Center);
- any other related documents needed to justify itemized deductions.
While the goal is to assist as many eligible individuals as possible, Hanley said there are certain types of tax returns that cannot be prepared at the Tax Center, to include:
- business returns requiring a full Schedule C form;
- returns with farming income;
- taxpayers filing with three or more rental properties;
- prior-year amendments (if the original return was not filed with the Fort Leonard Wood Tax Center);
- returns covering the sale of a rental home;
- large number of stock sales or stock sales without a cost basis;
- clergy or minister income;
- Missouri return only letter (if the original return was not filed with the Fort Leonard Wood Tax Center);
- other state only returns (if the original return was not filed with the Fort Leonard Wood Tax Center);
- returns for taxpayers living more than three hours from post using email-only correspondence;
- returns for taxpayers with a spouse living out of state with a power of attorney.
Last year, the Tax Center assisted more than 1,200 individuals with their taxes, resulting in nearly $2.5 million in returns for the Fort Leonard Wood community.
Call the Tax Center at 573.596.1040 for more information.
About Fort Leonard Wood
Fort Leonard Wood is a thriving and prosperous installation that has evolved from a small basic training post 80 years ago to a premier Army Center of Excellence that trains nearly 80,000 military and civilians each year.
Fort Leonard Wood is home to the U.S Army Maneuver Support Center of Excellence and three U.S. Army schools: the U.S. Army Engineer School; U.S. Army Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear School; and the U.S. Army Military Police School. In addition to training engineer, CBRN and military police specialties for the Army, Fort Leonard Wood also provides gender-integrated in-processing and Basic Combat Training for new Soldiers.
Fort Leonard Wood also hosts and trains with the largest Marine Corps Detachment and Air Force Squadron on any Army installation as well as a large Navy construction detachment.
More information about Fort Leonard Wood is at: https://home.army.mil/wood/index.php/about/mission